Thursday, October 9, 2008

OIL PAINT OVER ACRYLIC UNDERPAINTING

"Reading by the window" oil over acrylic-canvas
copyright 2008 C. Gregory Price

Well, this is a first for me.... finishing a painting in oil over an acrylic underpainting. I discovered that Liquin actually does dissolve the acrylic base layer, if slo-drying medium was used with the acrylic, so you must absolutely make sure that you let the base painting dry thoroughly. I didn't and you can see a little bit of lightness added to the top of the back of the chair cushion. This is my grandson reading in front of a window. I chose to do the underpainting in acrylic thinking that it would be a faster process with drying times accelerated with the acrylic. I think I will next attempt a very thinned oil underpainting, not just with burnt umber but probably with full color and let that dry very thoroughly. I'll post my results.

No comments: